No home cooking this week, Notre Dame moves down a spot with two nice wins.
- Louisville- Three losses (vs. Cincy, @ Seton Hall, @ UCONN) by a total of 13 points. Wins over Georgetown and Marquette put them on top.
- Georgetown- Still a half game lead in the conference.
- Notre Dame- Big win @ Seton Hall gives confidence on the road, avoiding comeback against #16 Marquette provides some more national credibility.
- Connecticut- Won seven straight, including 80-68 victory over Notre Dame opponent Georgia Tech. Game against the Irish on Wednesday will help shake out top 4.
- Pittsburgh- Only win this week a 55-54 affair against West Virginia at home. Move up on account of losses by higher ranked squads.
- Marquette- Looked bad in home loss to Louisville, more potent in near-comeback against Notre Dame. Need to bounce back well Tuesday @ Seton Hall.
- Syracuse- Only game last week was a close loss at home to UCONN.
- West Virginia- Lost three of their last four, but nearly knocked off Pitt on the road last week.
- Seton Hall- Three straight losses. Blown out at home by Notre Dame, nearly beat 'Nova on the road.
- Cincinnati- Taken to overtime by Rutgers. Home games against St. John's and South Florida should help get back on track.
- Villanova- Win over Seton Hall by 2 at home does not make up for five straight losses. Lost by 12 at Rutgers and 22 at St. Joseph's. Road games at Georgetown and St. John's not looking too promising next week.
- St. John's- Beat Providence, lost at home to DePaul earlier. Only team near the bottom playing well, with a three game winning streak.
- Providence- Beat DePaul by 14 at home, but lost at St. John's. Dropped 5 of last 6.
- DePaul- Home win against South Florida does little to soften hurt of four game losing skid.
- Rutgers- Nearly upset Cincy in overtime, still riding four game losing streak.
- South Florida- Just plain bad. 10 straight losses after defeating Rutgers at home.
Freshman of the Week- Johnny Flynn- Syracuse
Pains me to give that no talent hack an award this week, but the other candidates (Gransberry, Paul Harris, etc.) couldn't provide wins for their teams. In fairness, Thabeet had an incredible game yesterday with career highs in points and rebounds. Hopefully he cannot repeat the performance on Wednesday. His game against Syracuse was less impressive offensively, but did block seven shots. Most importantly, the team won both games.
Flynn scored 20 against UCONN, adding 5 rebounds and 6 assists with just one turnover and four steals.